[Openicc] ColorVision Open Source Policy

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Nov 13 05:18:13 PST 2007

Am 13.11.07, 07:11 -0500 schrieb Robert Krawitz:

> Yup, but those self-proclaimed leaders aren't particularly interested
> in anything as hifalutin' as color management.  Most of them only seem
> interested in mass market numbers and trying to be "more Windows than
> Windows" for newbies, and aren't interested in the high end.  I've
> seen this kind of thinking in the printing community as well; all
> these people are interested in is "gee, I can print my spreadsheet to
> an automatically detected printer!".  They're not interested in color
> management, linearization, or anything else esoteric.  So what happens
> is that these vendors get the messages that "proprietary is fine" and
> "Linux isn't interested in anything high end".

Thats pretty normal. Most users have not the time to spend with
software or hardware beside work, familiy and some other things which
make live. It's difficult to be an expert in too many fields.

Windows registry complexity, Gnome regular API changes or osX colour
management blackboxing are anoying. We can only try to not to hit the same
pitfalls in our own developments.

What me wonders is that many people judge by loudness and baffling
simplifications, the one where important parts are ignored despite better
knowledge. Most often for a personal advantage over the not so clear
formulated community targets. Still we may not give up the idea that
learning is possible for the involved humans ;-)