[Openicc] List Scope

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Jan 28 18:53:26 PST 2008

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> Notice the focus on interoperabilty and shared technology.  In order
> for this list to be generally useful (as was originally planned),
> detailed discussion of underlying problem domains should not bubble up
> to the list unless it is important to the interfacing with other
> subsystems or is otherwise of general interest.  The focus should be
> on features, interfacing, and specifications.

Well, if that's the case, perhaps there should be a different list
started for Open Systems Color discussions that we can all move over
to, since obviously the above is far too restrictive for useful
discussions of color and related systems.

I'm certainly not happy to shift it to the gimp-print list,but I could
well imagine gimp-print list subscribers complaining that the
discussion is too general, and doesn't relate specifically enough
to gimp-print!

> It is good that there is so much printing expertise in the open source
> world but the lengthy discussions of low-level printing issues are
> thoroughly drowning out any other possible discussion and will surely
> drive expertise in other domains away from the list.

1) I wouldn't call the discussions "low level" (apart perhaps
    from Robert cross posting some Gimp specific setup details).

2) This is usually a very quiet list, so I can't see how you think
    other discussions are being "drowned out".

3) I imagine that the discussions is just about to peter out. I was
    going to take a look at adding some tools in Argyll to address
    printer calibration. I guess if I make some progress in this
    area I'll stick to announcing it on the Argyll mailing list.