[Openicc] List Scope

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Jan 28 22:57:18 PST 2008

Am 28.01.08, 22:39 -0600 schrieb Bob Friesenhahn:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Graeme Gill wrote:
> >
> > 1) I wouldn't call the discussions "low level" (apart perhaps
> >    from Robert cross posting some Gimp specific setup details).
>
> Dithering algorithms for ink dots on paper are low level.

Literally we are quite off from the list subjects. Nethertheless the
content is what many of the list starters hoped for (Peter, Jan-Peter,
me). Bob, so at best I hope you might ignore those threads. As well a
clear naming that a thread is something to do with printing, and drop size
seems to me clearly spoken, helps all not reading parties including me.
Unfortunedly for digest mode this makes not much of a difference.

> > 2) This is usually a very quiet list, so I can't see how you think
> >    other discussions are being "drowned out".
>
> I agree that the list is usually quiet.  It is a clear problem is that
> there is insufficent representation here from people outside of
> hard-core color science and printing.  It is quite excellent that you
> are here, yet it is also unfortunate that the type of people who would
> bring your excellent work to the "common man" don't seem to be here
> any more, or perhaps they are not really heard (Kai-Uwe?).  It is not
> sufficient that color management is supported by specific applications
> since color management needs to be ingrained in the system using
> standard mechanisms and well supported throughout all applications
> which use color.

We are working on this. The _ICC_PROFILE atom in X is on the road and
adapted by many applications. Oyranos and supporting library API's evolve
in design and porting for common settings (30%) and a CMM framework (75%).

> The freedesktop organization is organized in order to try to extract
> some commonality from otherwise competing groups while recognizing
> that all groups are important according to their own measure of
> success.  Visit http://www.freedesktop.org/ to see what it is all
> about.  Check out the list of standards and software.  I notice that
> Oyranos is listed in the Software section, but Argyll and Little CMS
> are not mentioned.  While it is likely that some listed specifications

Good point.

> include interfaces necessary to support color management, I do not
> see a specification from this group listed to provide a standard way
> to provide color management in the freedesktop environment.

My own intention is Oyranos will provide a highly modular and coherent
programming interface to most of the settings.
Specifications are almost small pices. It would become hard to bring that
all to paper while prototyping and let a CMS system evolve as a whole.

For different proposals see the Specification and Proposal sections:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc

> > 3) I imagine that the discussions is just about to peter out. I was
> >    going to take a look at adding some tools in Argyll to address
> >    printer calibration. I guess if I make some progress in this
> >    area I'll stick to announcing it on the Argyll mailing list.
>
> That would be going too far the other way.  It is a problem that color
> management is too balkanized already.  We need more discussion of how
> to incorporate color management so that it is readily available to
> users so that open source can usefully compete with Microsoft Windows
> and Apple's OS-X.

If there is interesst in discussing Oyranos' API design that would help a
great deal. A snapshot can be on www immediately. In case not I would wait
for fixing some bugs in ICC Examin on osX. It has many CM parts exported
now into Oyranos (settings, profile access, profile manipulation, CMM).