[Openicc] KDE CMS

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Jan 29 15:28:58 PST 2008

Am 29.01.08, 19:43 +0100 schrieb Cyrille Berger:

> > > I don't really understand why is it important that oyranos have impact on
> > > UI and widget grouping.
> >
> > ... in order to create a pattern of user expectations.
>
> So if I understand correctly Policies are affecting the layout of the UI ? I
> had a look at how MacOSX and Photoshop do it, and I haven't really seen a
> notion of "policies" in the dialogs.

Policies where a suggestion of Jan-Peter here on this list. At this point
they dont move the layout. Policies cover many settings at once. So it is
possible to feed a policy file to a series of systems to match each the
others settings.

> > For instance the proofing profile can appear in the "Default Profile"
> > section or in the "Proofing Settings". User would expect this to be
> > consitent across GUI's.
> I am very very skeptical about this. This go against what I can have read
> about usability, items shouldn't jump of sections.

... and it can easily happen if different configuration tools expose the
settings in different groups. This comes not from Oyranos. Oyranos
provides the layout logic to avoid such happenings.

> > Sorry but I must always remember the USB case. One device bus and every
> > distribution handling USB different. This was unfortune. Luckily it seems
> > to be sorted out now. But how many years did this take?
> (I am not sure the current situation of USB on linux is any better but...)
> Well, that's the point of this discution, right ? Meet the need of CMM with
> the need of a desktop environnement.

Yes, and I hope we can figure out how to get CM and DE satisfied at the
same time.