[Openicc] License for redistributable profiles

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Mar 1 10:26:40 PST 2008

Am 01.03.08, 11:43 -0600 schrieb Bob Friesenhahn:
> I never paid any attention to Creative Commons before but now you have brought
> my attention to it by discussing it on the list.  This is a very strange
> organization which seems to be much better funded than the FSF.  Huge amounts
> of money are being pumped into this organization which claims to somehow serve
> a special purpose.  When I look at the people behind the organization
> (http://creativecommons.org/about/people/) I see that I have heard of none of
> them before.  Not even a single member of the open source community to be
> found or anyone who seems to have contributed anything at all.
>
> Why do you care about Creative Commons?

I found there a  license, which seem to cover most of the rquirements I
discussed offline:
o prevent misuse of the logos and names of a vendor
o prevent naming confusion (much of what is in ZLIB's license)
o keep the original authorship intact

It was difficult for me to fiddle with all the license texts, and then in
english. ZLIB and BSD where easy to read, close to what I needed, with
the wish kept open to include a bit more of restriction, as desired by
some profile vendors. But they would have required a new license to be
created. Hmm, so I decided to go with something, which traditional vendors
would trust. And CC seems to get some trust in both worlds due to offering
comercial frindly licenses. Thus it is half way between Heidelberg (ECI
profiles) and Boston (FSF). Hope this makes the meeting, aah the profiles
license.

> What ever happened to the positive influence of http://www.opensource.org/?

Hey, no problem, they still exist in coexistence with CC. Look at the
bottom of opensource.org.

One criticism of CC I understand very good. It is the missing uniqueness.
So if you have a better suggestion, we can clearly discuss. The simpler,
the better.

Between, I consider to cover all public domain Oyranos profiles by the
zlib license to make faked sRGB harder to circulate. They would be no
good.