[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Sun Apr 20 08:58:12 PDT 2008

I've been working on the installation details for display ICC profiles
on various operating systems, and was wondering if there is any
consensus with regard to Linux & X11.

The profiles stored in the root window _ICC_PROFILE property (and the parallel
one that I store in the XrandR 1.2 output property) will like all properties
be volatile, lasting only as long as the X server, and hence will need
re-loading every time the X11 server starts. It would be good to have
a convention as to where installed profiles live, and what device
they are associated with.

Location for storing profiles that I'm aware of are:

	/usr/share/color/icc
	/usr/local/share/color/icc
	~/.color/icc
	/usr/local/share/Scribus/profiles

Are there any others ?
Is there any consensus on the preferred location ?

Is there any convention as to how the information is stored
as to a particular profiles association with a device ?

Without such a convention, it's not really possible to setup a general
mechanism to ensure that the display root window properties are
set correctly, or that the display calibration is initialized properly.

Of course it would be easy enough to invent a simple text file
format that lives in the color directory to map profile names
to a device name, that will work with my particular toolset if
there is no particular convention to be followed.