[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Sun Apr 20 16:54:03 PDT 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> Of course this is not how things are done in *nix systems.  This
> type of
> configuration file should live in /etc and/or ~/.color/icc (? is
> this correct
> for a user config file?) like all other configuration files.

I believe that ~/.color/icc is deprecated. The XDG Base Directory
Specification is what GLib/GTK+ uses (and others too, IIRC).

The latest spec is at http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/
latest/

If the XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not set, then things should default to be
under ~/.config/...

*However* I would warn about using user config for this. A given user
might easily be logged into one home dir from different X11 sessions/
configurations. (I do this sometimes myself).

/etc/X11/... *might* be appropriate. The settings are on a per-X11
session basis after all.

/etc/xdg is a fallback for the system config dirs according to that
spec. However, individual distros are free to have it set to
something else.