[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Apr 20 18:32:29 PDT 2008

On Sunday 20 April 2008 16:54:03 Jon A. Cruz wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > Of course this is not how things are done in *nix systems.  This
> > type of
> > configuration file should live in /etc and/or ~/.color/icc (? is
> > this correct
> > for a user config file?) like all other configuration files.
>
> I believe that ~/.color/icc is deprecated. The XDG Base Directory
> Specification is what GLib/GTK+ uses (and others too, IIRC).
>
> The latest spec is at http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/
> latest/
>
> If the XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not set, then things should default to be
> under ~/.config/...

You are correct I forgot about this spec.  It is fairly new and not very
widely used at this point.  But some major apps like KDE, Qt and as you point
out GLib and GTK are using it.  I need to fix my own app to use this spec.

> *However* I would warn about using user config for this. A given user
> might easily be logged into one home dir from different X11 sessions/
> configurations. (I do this sometimes myself).

I am not sure I understand the concern here.  Wouldn't a user logged into the
same machine through more than one X11 session want to use the same color
configuration for all sessions?  After all the color configuration is
specific to the hardware not the user or the X11 session.

In addition, I tend to think of things like the color profiles and gamma
tables for a display, for example, to be system level attributes which by
default would be located in $XDG_DATA_DIRS\color\icc and
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/<?color?>/<???>.  Rather than being user specific they are
machine or device specific.  But there could be other color related settings
that were user specific such as preferred rendering intents for each device.

> /etc/X11/... *might* be appropriate. The settings are on a per-X11
> session basis after all.

Again I am not sure I understand this.  Why would different X11 sessions
need/use different profiles or other color related settings for the same
monitor, printer, scanner or camera?