[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Apr 20 18:43:23 PDT 2008

   From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel at astound.net>
   Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:32:29 -0700

   On Sunday 20 April 2008 16:54:03 Jon A. Cruz wrote:
   > On Apr 20, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

   > *However* I would warn about using user config for this. A given user
   > might easily be logged into one home dir from different X11 sessions/
   > configurations. (I do this sometimes myself).

   I am not sure I understand the concern here.  Wouldn't a user
   logged into the same machine through more than one X11 session want
   to use the same color configuration for all sessions?  After all
   the color configuration is specific to the hardware not the user or
   the X11 session.

It's worse than that -- a particular session may not have constant
hardware.  For example, if you're using a SunRay or similar thin
client, your monitor might change over the course of a single session
(as measured by a single login).  Sessions are portable; I might go
from one monitor to a completely different one, without logging out.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton