[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 21 04:16:13 PDT 2008

   On Apr 20, 2008, at 6:43 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

   > It's worse than that -- a particular session may not have constant
   > hardware.  For example, if you're using a SunRay or similar thin
   > client, your monitor might change over the course of a single session
   > (as measured by a single login).  Sessions are portable; I might go
   > from one monitor to a completely different one, without logging out.

   I believe that technically something else is happening. Last I knew
   X11 sessions themselves were not portable, and one could not
   disconnect and reconnect to them.

   However, in my experience I've seen the similar net effect achieved
   by using VNC. An X11 session is launched on the host computer that
   is using virtual or simulated hardware. Then a viewer client
   connects to that X11 server instance and displays what is going on.

It amounts to the same thing, although it isn't VNC.  With SunRays,
you can actually disconnect and reconnect to the session -- the X
server runs on the SunRay server, and it knows how to disconnect and
reconnect to a different SunRay.

However, you raise another interesting point -- what about VNC
sessions (where there might actually be multiple users simultaneously
or otherwise sharing the same session -- on different monitors)?

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton