[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Apr 21 22:46:14 PDT 2008

A X11 connection can transfere a 8-bit Rgb image stream from a remote
application to a local X server/Screen. The colour space of the local
screens is transparent via the _ICC_PROFILE_xxx atoms. Thus the remote
applciation can directly compensate for the intended audience, read the
local screen.

I do not much understand the implications of VNC. So Please correct me
if you can and feel its needed. As I have not heard of a display
characterisation meachanism in VNC, I would assume a thumb connection.
It remains to do the following:
a) the VNC server (remote host) has to compensate simply to sRGB
b) the VNC client (local host) can compensate for the local screen
   converting from sRGB to _ICC_PROFILE_xxx

That would become obviously a bottleneck for VNC.