[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Apr 22 10:04:55 PDT 2008

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> I am on a few VNC development mailing lists and this is the first time I have
>> heard color management mentioned as pertains to VNC.
>
> Does VNC allow for something like the atoms over a X11 connection?

Not currently.  The protococol used by VNC (RFB) is documented at
"http://www.realvnc.com/docs/rfbproto.pdf". There is a configuration
protocol where the server declares its properties and then the client
declares what it is willing to accept.  The configuration items are
quite specific so it requires a minor protocol extension to provide
for sending additional information.  The most obvious approach is to
provide a way for the server to send an ICC profile to the client when
the client requests it.

Most of the effort in VNC is with reducing bandwith between client and
server, and with improving display change detection.

Bob