[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Apr 22 16:59:38 PDT 2008

Tomas Carnecky wrote:

> Ok. Do you want to have a central database with device/profile mappings
> or should every device class manage its profile mappings on
> its own? (Like, the xserver or session keeps one database, cups keeps
> another etc).

If the aim is an integrated color sub-system, then it would seem appropriate
that there should be a single database location for devices that are
managed from a particular system. (The Elektra database has
been suggested, and it is a system wide configuration database).

> I will have to write something that would allow X clients ask each other
> whether they have access to a particular profile or not (if they run on
> different hosts and having access to different filesystems). And I'm
> thinking about allowing xclients share profiles through the xserver.
> That would require a registry inside the xserver.

Why ? X11 Clients will get the default installed monitor profiles from the
_ICC_PROFILE atoms.
It's the system that is managing the X11 server that needs access to
a database of monitor to profile associations, plus the profile itself.
(Interestingly, I don't think that the system managing the X11 server
necessarily has to be the same system running the X11 server.)