[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue Apr 22 17:17:24 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 16:59:38 Graeme Gill wrote:
> Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> > Ok. Do you want to have a central database with device/profile mappings
> > or should every device class manage its profile mappings on
> > its own? (Like, the xserver or session keeps one database, cups keeps
> > another etc).
>
> If the aim is an integrated color sub-system, then it would seem
> appropriate that there should be a single database location for devices
> that are managed from a particular system.

I agree.

> (The Elektra database has
> been suggested, and it is a system wide configuration database).

Oyranos uses Elektra but this may actually prove to be a obstacle to it, or a
similar system, being widely used if we are trying to get this functionality
intigrated into systems like KDE and GNOME.  So this is one of the details
that needs to be worked out.

> > I will have to write something that would allow X clients ask each other
> > whether they have access to a particular profile or not (if they run on
> > different hosts and having access to different filesystems). And I'm
> > thinking about allowing xclients share profiles through the xserver.
> > That would require a registry inside the xserver.
>
> Why ? X11 Clients will get the default installed monitor profiles from the
> _ICC_PROFILE atoms.
> It's the system that is managing the X11 server that needs access to
> a database of monitor to profile associations, plus the profile itself.

The applications running on the xclient will ask the xserver for the profiles
which the xserver should have in the _ICC_PROFILE atom(s) for it's
display(s).  The real issue is that currently very few X11 machines have the
_ICC_PROFILE atom(s) set and this is primarily because it is difficult for
users to configure this and the utilities for setting it are not common.  I
think Oyranos does this but I have not been able to figure out how yet.