[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Wed Apr 23 08:55:06 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 23:29:36 Graeme Gill wrote:
> Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > Oyranos uses Elektra but this may actually prove to be a obstacle to it,
> > or a similar system, being widely used if we are trying to get this
> > functionality intigrated into systems like KDE and GNOME.  So this is one
> > of the details that needs to be worked out.
>
> Can you explain (or point to) an explanation about this ?
>
> In theory other systems will operate through the CMM interface,
> so the configuration implementation, whether it uses Elektra or
> something else, will be irrelevant.
>
> Graeme Gill.

My point was that we would like to see color controls integrated into the
desktop environment as a standard part of the DE at some point.  Will KDE
and/or GNOME accept a new configuration system that has a dependency on
something like Elektra?  If this is not an issue for them then I personally
don't have a concern with it but I suspect it will be an issue.   Anyone from
the KDE or GNOME projects care to comment.

In addition, Elektra is currently not widely used and many distros don't even
have a package to install it.  For example my own distro does not have a
standard package and available third party packages do not have a version
that will work with the git version of Oyranos (the available packages are
not new enough) so I have to hand install Elektra at this point in time.  In
other words Elektra is currently not considered mature enough to be included
in many distros.  So this is another perhaps short term concern.

Hal