[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Gerhard Fuernkranz nospam456 at gmx.de
Wed Apr 23 12:24:16 PDT 2008

Graeme Gill wrote:
> Under the usual circumstances, it's unlikely that there is any need for a source profile per window. Typically the source
> colorspace is defined by an embedded profile in input rasters, or at the application level as a definition colorspace (ie. it's
> a per rendering element thing).

PostScript supports the concept of remapping DeviceRGB/DeviceCMYK colors
to CIE-based colors, i.e. all DeviceRGB/DeviceCMYK colors are then
interpreted as if they were colors in a preset DefaultRGB or DefaultCMYK
color space. Correspondingly, one could certainly support a "default
source profile" for interpreting untagged RGB colors which are per se
not associated with a particular color space. Whether such a default
source profile should be better associated with the display, or with a
particular application, or even separately for each window, needs to be
discussed.

Another issue in this context is of course, who carries out the color
transformation? I guess that such a remapping of untagged RGB makes most
sense for applications which are _not_ color management aware. But then
the transformation would need to be done transparently, somewhere
outside the application...

Regards,
Gerhard