[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Apr 23 13:23:31 PDT 2008

Am 23.04.08, 21:24 +0200 schrieb Gerhard Fuernkranz:

> Graeme Gill wrote:
> > Under the usual circumstances, it's unlikely that there is any need for a source profile per window. Typically the source
> > colorspace is defined by an embedded profile in input rasters, or at the application level as a definition colorspace (ie. it's
> > a per rendering element thing).
>
> PostScript supports the concept of remapping DeviceRGB/DeviceCMYK colors
> to CIE-based colors, i.e. all DeviceRGB/DeviceCMYK colors are then
> interpreted as if they were colors in a preset DefaultRGB or DefaultCMYK
> color space. Correspondingly, one could certainly support a "default
> source profile" for interpreting untagged RGB colors which are per se
> not associated with a particular color space. Whether such a default
> source profile should be better associated with the display, or with a
> particular application, or even separately for each window, needs to be
> discussed.

Well, Oyranos has the four assumed Rgb and Cmyk and editing Rgb and Cmyk
default and as well the webRgb (always sRGB) settings. I think the mapping
can always be to webRgb/sRGB except something different is requested by
the applications.

> Another issue in this context is of course, who carries out the color
> transformation? I guess that such a remapping of untagged RGB makes most
> sense for applications which are _not_ color management aware. But then
> the transformation would need to be done transparently, somewhere
> outside the application...

Opting out for exposing raw Rgb values should become a option. Everything
else is best handled as sRGB and should match to the according monitor
profile. For a uncharacterised monitor with assumed sRGB a opt out could
then be assumed to speed things up for most non interessted users.