[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Markus Raab openicc at markus-raab.org
Thu Apr 24 13:34:21 PDT 2008

Am Mittwoch, 23. April 2008 18:18 schrieb Graeme Gill:
> I don't know. If various initiatives to provide needed infra-structure
> are resisted, progress is very slow (I've certainly seen some of the
> hostility to things like autopackage, mainly I suspect because it threatens
> the current cozy distro-oriented world of Linux). Even if one is wedded to
> the idea of human readable configuration files (and I have some sympathy
> for that, as long as they aren't XML), at least there could be a standard
> format and standard library for reading and writing them.

A library does not necessarily fixate the format of the configuration. Elektra
does not do it.

> I had a quick
> look at what X11 is using, but it appears to be very oriented to xorg.conf,
> rather than a more general purpose library.

There is no other project next to elektra trying to write a portable and
general purpose configuration library without dependencies.

We are now reaching a stable phase for 0.7 with the feature of Mounting, to
get an idea of it, see: http://www.libelektra.org/GetStartedMounting
It allows admins (and maybe even users in future) to choose what configuration
format they prefer dynamically at runtime similar to mount and /etc/fstab for
filesystems.

rc3 was released today, for more information visit http://www.libelektra.org

thank you
Markus Raab