[Openicc] Proposed "ucmm" display profile configuration convention used by ArgyllCMS.

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Jun 2 08:23:24 PDT 2008

Am 02.06.08, 23:13 +1000 schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > CinePaint, Krita, Scribus and many other open source applications support
> > /usr/[local/]share/color/icc as well as many propriarity ones.
> > What would you expect to be more practise?
>
> Sure, but (as far as I can tell) they are dealing with user
> profiles, not system device profiles.

What does you understand by system device profiles?
The Fogra Cmyk profiles describe startdardised devices. These profile are
typical installed below /usr/share/color/icc.

Back to the source of this thread. The monitor profiles, which ArgyllCMS
wants to install, can reside in a special folder or subfolder as you like.
But e.g. in CinePaint they are a matter of UI representation. Each device
and colour space profile is be selectable as proofing profile. So scanning
of directories containing such profiles will always be on.

> > Well a simple move or resolution switch makes the Xinerama geometry
> > property failing.
>
> Then I'm definitely not following you, since I thought you were proposing
> that the geometry be used to identify the monitor, so as to associate
> the right profile with it :-)

A resolution switch affects the geometry information provided by
Xinerama and the move of a monitor declared to xorg.conf will affect the
profile selection as well. Well it is like you describe above, just the
limitations apply for non static configurations.