[Openicc] Proposed "ucmm" display profile configuration convention used by ArgyllCMS.

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Jun 2 08:23:10 PDT 2008

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> What does you understand by system device profiles?
> The Fogra Cmyk profiles describe startdardised devices. These profile are
> typical installed below /usr/share/color/icc.

Right, but how many people profile their systems printer, and have
a Fogra CMYK profile pop out the other end ? :-) ie., a Fogra profile
is a user supplied profile, selected in applications by the user.

A system device profile is a profile for a device connected to the system.
The user will profile the printer connected to their system and then
install the profile, so that when the application asks the CMM for
the profile associated with the system printer, it knows what to return.

> Back to the source of this thread. The monitor profiles, which ArgyllCMS
> wants to install, can reside in a special folder or subfolder as you like.
> But e.g. in CinePaint they are a matter of UI representation. Each device
> and colour space profile is be selectable as proofing profile. So scanning
> of directories containing such profiles will always be on.

In general users won't need to navigate to the system device profiles though.
They will select profile for other purposes (defining undefined input colorspaces,
selecting colorspaces to emulate), and then say "print it to my printer", expecting
that the printer driver will deal with the profile for the printer.