[Openicc] what setting can I use in Gutenprint to get the largest and/or best possible gamut profile?

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jun 14 09:03:54 PDT 2008

   From: "Millers' Photography L.L.C." <David.Miller at alumni.usc.edu>
   Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:19:16 -0700

   I may be out of line with your discussions about custom .icc
   profiling and Gutenprint, but here goes.

   I have been creating custom .icc profiles with Gutenprint, the
   Epson Pro 9600 with matte black ink, and Fuji Hunt canvas, as well
   as with HU's German Etching.

   My question is what setting can I use in Gutenprint to get the
   largest and/or best possible gamut profile?

   I already use ultra photo, 4 pass, eventone, uncorrected, 720 dpi,
   best, watercolor paper-radiant white, adjust dot size, keep print
   same size....don't remember what else.

   What I am finding is the custom .icc profiles I create with the
   plain simple Epson driver, have a larger gamut than the same
   printer/ink/ substrate combination with Gutenprint.  I am not
   complaining, just wondering how I can do better with the Gutenprint
   settings.

   I view the profile in ColorThink.

   I am not a color scientist.  I might say I am software compromised!
   My goal is to provide the very finest possible CM prints from the
   9600.

   I use OS 10.4.11 on a G5 tower as well as 10.5.3 on a MBP.
   Hardware is i1 Pro, and software is i1 Match.

Couple of suggestions:

1) It's possible that the ink density is too low.  You might want to
try using a higher density setting than the default (1.0).  This would
allow more ink to be used.  You might try 1.1 or 1.2 for starters.

2) Try a higher resolution.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton