[Openicc] [Gimp-print-devel] Common Printing Dialog: PPD extension specs updated

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Aug 5 02:14:41 PDT 2008

Am 04.08.08, 23:53 +0200 schrieb Till Kamppeter:
> Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > I don't think this is off topic. After all the thread is about PPD files
> > and the Common Printing Dialog and Kai-Uwe asked if the cupsICCProfile
> > part of the PPD specification was going to be implemented in the new
> > Common Printing Dialog. In addition, the thread mentioned color
> > management as one of the reasons for a spec change for PPD files. This
> > seems to me to be right on topic. I also want to know the answer to this
> > question. Is the new printing dialog going to support color management
> > and will it be able to make use of cupsICCProfile info from PPD files?
> >
> > Hal
> >

> It is a good idea to add the color profile support to the dialog. But
> are clients able to download the ICC profile from the CUPS server? Would

It is to be expected that often device profiles will be installed on the
printer host. Thus they are potentially visible to all users. Then the
profile might be needed to deploy early colour binding and render a pre
separated PDF, show a colour matched preview or mark out of gamut colours
to give precise feedback on the to be expected results.

Users might have created custom profiles and have them locally installed
and configured. They might want to colour match images later on the
remote printing host.

If remote colour management shall work a remotely installed profile must
be exchangeable to allow for a local selected profile. The selected
profile should be passed by the spooler to the remote *toraster filter.
Whether base-64-UU-encoding is a option for both directions I can not
answere. I do not know exactly, how data or postscript sequences are
embedded into the print stream and how they are decoded on the *toraster
back end side. Even though it would be interessting to know.
I found as well no limitation about data blob sizes in a PPD other than a
single PPD line not to exceede 255 chars. So there is a hope that ICC
profiles could be embedded into PPD's.

Otherwise, I found Hal has most things answered already.

PS: cc'ing to OpenICC