[Openicc] OT: PDF frustration

Klaus Karcher lists at digitalproof.info
Sat Oct 4 12:55:05 PDT 2008

edmund ronald wrote:
> I think rather than waste  effort on another programming effort, it
> might be time for some one to create some nice probe files and
> profiles, so that whenever an app comes out we demonstrate the
> bugs/design flaws cleanly by means of the probe files and profiles.
>
> James Vogh demoed his probs at the last ICC conference, and even on
> the Mac where color management is well integrated one could see things
> changing depending where a file was displayed in the finder
> (coverflow).

There are already several PDF test files available. In particular the
Altona test suite [1] and the Ghent Output Suite [2] are worth mentioning:

"The Altona Test Suite consists of three DIN A3 size PDF pages. [...]
'Altona Visual' consists of numerous elements that make it possible to
quickly judge the reproduction of the page in terms of color fidelity
and correct imaging. [...] 'Altona Technical' addresses overprint
simulation as well as handling of all font types that are allowed in PDF
1.3 -- and thus PDF/X-3 -- files.

Extensive documentation explains the structure of the three pages and
offers guidelines for the evaluation of results achieved by processing
the Altona Test Suite pages."

[1] <http://www.eci.org/doku.php?id=en:downloads#altona_test_suite>
[2] <http://www.gwg.org/ghentoutputsuite.phtml>