[Openicc] Announce : Oyranos Version 0.1.9

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Dec 10 15:47:55 PST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

>> Oyranos requires user assistance to be included in various popular Linux
>> distributions so that there is no reason to not depend on it.
>
> This is kind of controversial, because Cinepaint itself isn't
> available in all distributions (the U one for instance).

The 'U' one usually depends on the 'D' one.  Regardless, I don't see
any reason for controversy.  If Oyranos meets the standards normally
required of a distribution then it should be included based on the
standards of those distributions.  It should not depend on politics
associated with a dependent package.

> We do need Oyranos in as many distributions as possible to accelerate
> adoption of this fine technlogy, and since KDE module isn't going to
> be included into upstream before 4.3 as I was told, we need some
> understanding from Cinepaint team. ICC Examin alone isn't enough, I'm
> afraid.

By Cinepaint "team" you must mean Robin Rowe, who recently returned
from three years of working on a Cinepaint replacement and now wants
to take more responsibility for Cinepaint again.

The way to get Oyranos into distributions primarily depends on finding
volunteer distribution maintainers for it.  Once distributions are
able to build, package, and install Oyranos, then they will be
prepared for any dependent package which may want to use it.  Kai-Uwe
can't be expected to take care of everything himself.

Bob