[Openicc] ookala-mcf

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Dec 25 17:37:48 PST 2008

On Thursday 25 December 2008 07:38:48 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do you guys know/think about
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ookala-mcf/ ?
>
> Alexandre

I had a look at the tarball.   This is from HP.  The whole thing is basically
a plug in frame work for monitor calibration (no profiling).  Even the GUI is
a plug in along with the measurement device code, monitor support code and LUT
code.  There are two existing directories for plug ins for "sensors" which is
what they are calling color meters or spectrophotometers.  These are for the
Eye One D2 HPDC and the Sequel Chroma 5.  In both cases these are built on top
of the X-Rite proprietary interface libraries and you need the (apparently
unavailable) X-Rite SDKs to build the plug in.  In addition the plug in code
for the i1D2HPDC is missing.  Because the X-Rite SDKs are MIA the code as it
is can not be used.  But it also looks like it would not be that hard to write
a set of plug ins that use the ArgyllCMS meter code.

The code appears to be for both Windows and X11/Linux.  There is currently no
OS/X support.

The app has support for DDC/CI.   The DDC/CI base support is part of the main
library but there is also a DevIc2 plug in that is used on linux to make the
DDC stuff look like it does on Windows so that the main DDC/CI code uses one
API for both Windows and Linux.  It appears that plug ins need to be written
for each monitor type if the monitor is using any non-standard DDC/IC commands
or extensions or if you want to have low level monitor specific calibration
such as setting an internal monitor matrix as is done in the (example?) plug
in for the HP DreamColor 2480zx.

There is also a LUT plug in but the current code only supports a single
monitor since it is currently hard coded to only use display 0 screen 0 even
though the API has the ability to pass in the information needed to specify a
display device.  It does not have XRandR LUT support.  It does have Windows
and X11 code but no support for OS/X LUTs.

I could not get the code to build on my machine and most of this appears to be
because of castings issues between wxString, *char and std::string.  The
number of places where this happens is extensive.  I suspect that the
development work was done using a build of wxWidgets with unicode support
turned off.

There is a fairly extensive set of documents in the tarball.  In the main doc
directory are two pdf's of 12 and 19 pages.  There is also 12 documents in the
src/docs/omcf_arch directory.

Since this came out of HP I wonder if Marti Maria knows anything about this?

Hal