[Openicc] net-color spec

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Apr 21 00:02:30 PDT 2009

Am 18.04.09, 19:01 +0200 schrieb Tomas Carnecky:
> On Apr 17, 2009, at 2:27 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> As well the Xcolor library should be packaged and your net-color spec[3]
>> be placed on say freedesktop.org. Best would be next to the _ICC_PROFILE
>> proposal as they are functionally closely related.
>> How can I get write access to the Xcolor project :-)
>
> I was thinking about splitting the repository into two and make libXcolor and
> the compiz plugin separate repositories. libXcolor would probably be best
> hosted on freedesktop.org, because that's where all the other X11 libraries
> and specs are. Compiz is (slowly) moving away from fdo and towards their own
> infrastructure at compiz.org so the compiz plugin should go there.

Agreed. libXcolor is a completely different thing from a service like the
color plug-in, which deployes the net-color spec.

> One rather big problem I came across just now is the fact that compiz is
> being rewritten in C++ (and to use cmake instead of autotools). Not all code
> is ported yet and the work on that is progressing very slowly, and I wasn't
> able to figure out how to compile the whole compiz stack. I could install it
> using the package manager but right now I'm reluctant to work on the plugin.
> I find the future of compiz very uncertain given the current inactivity. But
> that's just my opinion :)

We will see. Anyway, compiz is one distributed platform for hardware
accelerated desktop colour management. Compiz is still a good playground.

> Anyway, first we should sort out the hosting. Do you have any preference?

After having looked at an other git demo, I am not any more shure to need
write access. A simple pull could bring us in sync and we can keep things
distributed. I will therefore place my libXcolor repository into the net
and send you the link.

best regards

>> [3] git://dbservice.com/Linux/compiz/color
Btw. your server seems down this morning.