[Openicc] gsoc status: SANE & raw/exif backend & OpenGTL

Yiannis Belias jonnyb at hol.gr
Wed Aug 12 08:47:24 PDT 2009

Hello all!

The summer of code reaches the final evaluation stage.
Both Oyranos backends are in a usable state now
(although some cleanup/small changes are needed).
I intend to keep working on them after gsoc and there is some time left
to start something new.

 So, after some talk with my mentor Kai-Uwe Behrmann, we decided it would
be nice to also try to do some preliminary work with OpenShiva filters,
preferably for tonemapping. The last few days I've been playing
with shiva and I've uploaded a few of my tests to the gsoc git:
http://github.com/yiannis/gsoc2009/tree/master
Look in the opengtl folder.
What is most impressive is that you can start manipulating images
right away - just take a look at the sample filters code and the shiva spec.
I'm using the "$ shiva filter.shiva in.png out.png" command line.

Apart from tonemapping Kai-Uwe also suggested several other wanted filter
functionality in Oyranos like:
>> It would be interesting to do some image processing in Oyranos like in
>> OpenCV for displaying and correcting camera files. Colour correction,
>> monitor matching, chromatic corrections (fringing), devignetting,
>> correction of distortions ... probably the database stuff would be
>> written in C whereas the math can be done more quickly in Shiva,
>> or simple graphs like in Krita. This would be fine for simple viewers.

It would be very interesting to read your thoughts about this.
I haven't tried to do any cind of speed benchmarks against
other code. The prospect of a common language for writting filters that
can then work on any graphics application is exciting indeed :)

Cheers!
Yiannis

Yiannis Belias  <jonnyb at hol.gr>                    `
Homepage [http://users.hol.gr/~jonnyb/video] '              .
GNU+LINUX:                                            '           '
IN A WORLD WITHOUT FENCES WHO NEEDS GATES?      .                     *