[Openicc] gsoc status: SANE & raw/exif backend & OpenGTL

Yiannis Belias jonnyb at hol.gr
Thu Aug 13 16:53:51 PDT 2009

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote
> In order to start with tonemapping, a HDR capable file format reader
> would be helpful to interface OpenGTL.
>
> You could write a PPM extension for OpenGTL. Two examples exist in the
> Extensions forlder.
>
> The code of the Oyranos' PPM reader starts basicly after
> modules/oyranos_cmm_oyra_image_ppm.c oyraFilterPlug_ImageInputPPMRun()'
> fopen() call and could probably be reused for that. The code reads
> alpha and uint8_t, uin16_t and float types.
>
> That seems the easies way for exchanging HDR data. I think many
> demonstration HDRs are avalable as PFMs (Portable Float Map, the above
> supported float variant of PPM.
>
> kind regards
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann

Actually, I took a look at the png site[0], and it seems to support
16-bit per channel - in fact I have already tried it.
I guess it should be OK for a start. If needed I could try to
work on a ppm extention, though.
What I can't find how to do is to tell that this filter needs an eg 16bit
image as input and returns an 8bit one as output.

Cheers!
Yiannis

[0] http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/