[Openicc] Devicelink profiles and accompanying metadata

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 06:19:42 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm in the planning stages of adding DeviceLink profile support to
CMYKTool.  My plan is to use ArgyllCMS to create devicelinks to
transform between profiles, and store these for subsequent use - which
leads me to my question:
Is there an accepted location for storing devicelink profiles (such as
XDG_DATA_HOME/color/icc/devicelink or something similar) where I could
save such profiles for potential use by other software, or should I just
cache them privately?

I shall also need to save a certain amount of metadata about the
Devicelinks - such as the endpoint profiles (needed if you want to
soft-proof) and parameters supplied to Argyll when generating the link
(black-generation parameters, intents, viewing conditions, etc.)

I'm thinking my best bet will be to cache the metadata privately but
make the devicelinks themselves available to other software - but I'm
open to persuasion and very interested to hear if anyone else has any
thoughts on this?

Thanks

All the best
--