[Openicc] Devicelink profiles and accompanying metadata

Ann L McCarthy almccart at lexmark.com
Mon Apr 5 07:13:18 PDT 2010

Alastair,

The ICC has now fully approved an ICC profile metadataTag and
dictionaryType which might be
useful in this case.   Then each devicelink can contain its own record of
what it is made from etc.
Here is link to the spec for the new tag and type on the ICC website.
http://www.color.org/icc_specs2.xalter

The new functionality includes a metadata repository that is provided so
that metadata definitions
can be publicly shared and used in multiple systems.

The metadata repository will be hosted on the ICC site.  During startup
the metadata
repository is in members only section of the website.  The intent is that
nonmembers
can also post metadata for public domain use after the repository moves to
the public site.

If you are interested in using this metadataTag idea let me know and I
will assist with using the repository.
Phil Green, the ICC technical secretary, is moving pretty quickly to get
it all up and running so I am sure
he will help also.

Metadata to record the make contents of devicelink profiles can certainly
be useful to define and share.

Best regards,
Ann McCarthy
Imaging Systems R&D
Lexmark Imaging Solutions Division
Lexmark International, Inc.

"Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk>
Sent by: openicc-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org
04/05/2010 09:19 AM

openicc at lists.freedesktop.org
cc

Subject
[Openicc] Devicelink profiles and accompanying metadata

Hi,

I'm in the planning stages of adding DeviceLink profile support to
CMYKTool.  My plan is to use ArgyllCMS to create devicelinks to
transform between profiles, and store these for subsequent use - which
leads me to my question:
Is there an accepted location for storing devicelink profiles (such as
XDG_DATA_HOME/color/icc/devicelink or something similar) where I could
save such profiles for potential use by other software, or should I just
cache them privately?

I shall also need to save a certain amount of metadata about the
Devicelinks - such as the endpoint profiles (needed if you want to
soft-proof) and parameters supplied to Argyll when generating the link
(black-generation parameters, intents, viewing conditions, etc.)

I'm thinking my best bet will be to cache the metadata privately but
make the devicelinks themselves available to other software - but I'm
open to persuasion and very interested to hear if anyone else has any
thoughts on this?

Thanks

All the best
--