[Openicc] Devicelink profiles and accompanying metadata

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 10:49:01 PDT 2010

Hi :)

Ann L McCarthy wrote:

> The ICC has now fully approved an ICC profile metadataTag and
> dictionaryType which might be
> useful in this case.   Then each devicelink can contain its own record
> of what it is made from etc.
> Here is link to the spec for the new tag and type on the ICC website.

Many thanks for that - I've just had a quick look and shall read it in
more detail later.

> Metadata to record the make contents of devicelink profiles can
> certainly be useful to define and share.

Definitely - though I see a distinction in scope between metadata fields
which have broad applicability (for example, source and destination
profiles for a devicelink) and fields which are of little use to
anything but the defining application (i.e. black generation parameters
- just knowing what they are tells you nothing unless you also know how
the application will interpret them...)  For the latter type, where you
just want to associate some data with the profile but don't expect other
software to be able to make use of it, would you just register a key
with for example "CMYKToolSpecific", "Meaning of Value=Custom" and, say,
"Values=up to 30 characters" or something like that?

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson