[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2009: Oyranos CUPS backend

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Mon May 17 08:09:37 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

> What you propose is particially related to the "cupsICCProfile" PPD
> keyword. By this keyword the ICC profile is only named and not embedded in
> the PPD as you suggest.

In addition, cupsICCProfile isn't supported by desktop applications (such as
Adobe Acrobat/Reader) on any OS platform and certainly not in any situation
on Windows.   Is it widely enough used to even consider trying to support
it?  Certainly none of the major vendors are including this in profiles
supplied with printers - does it only appear in a customized CUPS driver
installation?

> Clearly obtaining a ICC profile inside the PPD is a fine idea. It would
> make much sense for an important use case - proofing.

It makes sense in any environment where you can't assume that the profile is
also present.

> Nevertheless, I seek for a way to select a user configured ICC profile for
> a PPD. Thus the "colourKeyWords" marker appears still useful to me.

User-defined profiles wouldn't be in PPDs.  PPDs are the province of the
device - they should not be modified by users (or by software acting on
behalf of a user).

Leonard