[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2009: Oyranos CUPS backend

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon May 17 09:45:24 PDT 2010

For the Epson Stylus Pro 3880, there are 12 manufacturer supplied ICC profiles totally 8.5MB in size. Each profile is 760K in size, roughly. Which is 1/3 to 1/4 the size of a good production quality profile. Now, this is probably OK quality for casual soft proofing. If you're looking to get better results (for printing as well) then better profiles are needed. As far as I'm aware, SEC doesn't supply them, however Epson America does make better profiles available via separate download.

So what if user at printerhost has downloaded or created superior profiles, and uses those for soft proofing and printing. But then user at remote is subject only to using PPD based profiles? (Or manufacturer supplied profiles?) It would be nice if there were a way for user at remote to have the option to use the better quality profiles, without having to download inferior ones first. cupsICCProfile is URI based isn't it?

While it can be argued the settings of user1 should not affect the settings user2 is subject to, I think a case can be made that user1 at printerhost is in a vastly better position to know what media is presently in the printer and thus what ICC profiles apply to the various printing modes, if they're going to be used at all. So if they've overridden them, it's probably a good idea for the option to present the remote user with alternate profiles. It might even be a good idea to suggest them as the default.

Another way to do this entirely would be three subset profiles that are only used for soft proofing, and are non-binding on the print job. Those categories would be: plain paper, glossy, and matte medias. While there clearly are differences between different matte media I think a single profile representing most matte media on the printer can set expectations at this level appropriately. Same for gloss. Same for plain paper.

Once the job arrives at the printerhost machine, then the correct profile based on actual media loaded (and perhaps a custom profile as specified by that printer's owner) is used for actual matching.

Chris