[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Thu May 20 12:08:31 PDT 2010

On 5/20/10, Markus Raab wrote:

>> > Elektra is pretty alive and under development:
>>
>> No, Elekra is dead. Last stable release was two years ago. The IRC
>> channel is empty, and the mailing list is averaging less than an email
>> a month. No distro (to my knowledge) ships the library by default in
>> either the community or supported version. I don't know any other
>> project, other than Oyranos that requires Elektra as a hard
>> dependency. That qualifies as dead in my book.
>
> So you judge a project only by how many discussion it has and not by its
> code?

I wouldn't want that to grow into a) off-topic and b) holy war, but
let me tell you two things.

1. You are overreacting. I understand why, but nevertheless. Richard
provided many more reasons than just "how many discussions".

2. Developers are naturally not good at communicating with users. They
either learn or delegate that to somebody else. In case of Elektra
there is clearly noone learning or delegating.

The last time main page was changed was in October 2008. The usual
"Recent Changes" link in mediawiki's sidebar is not even present to
see when *anything* was actually changed. Before you start arguing,
please visit http://elektra.g4ii.com/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&days=365
and tell me what you see.

You see, about a year ago I was criticized by some guy at osnews.com
for not writing news at inkscape.org every *week*. And if we at
Audacity project didn't release unstable versions every few months,
we'd be long considered dead, because last stable is three or more
years old and *very few* people care to look into mailing lists, and
the fact that Richard did look into mailing lists says that he
actually did his bit of research.

Viable open source project = project with community. Period.

You don't have to agree with this statement or like it. Merely
accepting possibility of a grain of truth in it would be a huge step
forward.

Alexandre