[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri May 21 01:06:37 PDT 2010

Am 20.05.10, 23:08 +0400 schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:

>>> No, Elekra is dead. Last stable release was two years ago. The IRC
>>> channel is empty, and the mailing list is averaging less than an email
>>> a month. No distro (to my knowledge) ships the library by default in
>>> either the community or supported version. I don't know any other
>>> project, other than Oyranos that requires Elektra as a hard
>>> dependency. That qualifies as dead in my book.
>>
>> So you judge a project only by how many discussion it has and not by its
>> code?
>
> I wouldn't want that to grow into a) off-topic and b) holy war, but
> let me tell you two things.
>
> 1. You are overreacting. I understand why, but nevertheless. Richard
> provided many more reasons than just "how many discussions".

Well, this is biased. You are writing for GCM since some time now.

> 2. Developers are naturally not good at communicating with users. They
> either learn or delegate that to somebody else. In case of Elektra
> there is clearly noone learning or delegating.
>
> The last time main page was changed was in October 2008. The usual
> "Recent Changes" link in mediawiki's sidebar is not even present to
> see when *anything* was actually changed. Before you start arguing,
> please visit http://elektra.g4ii.com/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&days=365
> and tell me what you see.
>
> You see, about a year ago I was criticized by some guy at osnews.com
> for not writing news at inkscape.org every *week*. And if we at
> Audacity project didn't release unstable versions every few months,
> we'd be long considered dead, because last stable is three or more
> years old and *very few* people care to look into mailing lists, and
> the fact that Richard did look into mailing lists says that he
> actually did his bit of research.
>
> Viable open source project = project with community. Period.
>
> You don't have to agree with this statement or like it. Merely
> accepting possibility of a grain of truth in it would be a huge step
> forward.
>
> Alexandre

It reads as if you sanction here wrong expectations against smaller
projects.

Some communities have not always the resources and sometimes the
willingness to write regularily to the public. Just as you stated. However
most of them are nethertheless very responsive to questions and need just
some smaller non distructive feedback. "Elekra is dead" statements
as we could read here from Richard are quite the opposite. Sensible is'nt
it?

You confuse popularity with potential. Projects can even start in the
private and come very late to the light of the public and make their way.
The diversity of mindsets, goals and the resulting projects are a good
sign to the health of a broader community.
In this context I will not follow into a more or less stated "Gnome mono
culture", which tries to rule out not like minded. In the end those Gnome
people just favour their own limited goals.