[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri May 21 01:36:51 PDT 2010

Am 21.05.10, 08:55 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 21 May 2010 08:26, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> You miss the point.
>
> I'm not sure I do; if Fedora was to pull Oyranos into Fedora in the
> base install, we also have to pull Elektra into the base install. If
> we have Oyranos in Fedora, then by logical progression we'll probably
> have Oyranos in the next version of RHEL. Which we support for a
> loooong time. Furthermore, _I_ would be the Red Hat employee
> maintaining the stack of packages if such a thing would happen.

Reasonable, but unrelated to calling a project being dead. The same way
one could say antarctic pinguins are dead, because they cant pay a flight
to Redmond, or Gnome is dead because it lags one centimeter behind KDE.

> So, as such, if somebody asks me if a package will be installed in
> Fedora by default, the long term maintained status and activity of
> projects that it depends on are my *primary* concern. If nothing else
> depends on that library then there is no real onus on the guys at Red
> Hat to spend money hiring people to contribute and fix problems in the
> supporting libraries. Also, from a dependency point of view, every new
> byte on the install media has to be justified, and pulling additional
> questionable deps onto the Live media is a sure way to get the
> original proposal vetoed.

A distribution can probably merge Gnome and KDE configuration data bases
to some extent. Admittedly that idea needs further refinement especially
among desktop people.

> If there is no "CMS" installed by default, then nobody is going to be
> using it. Nobody thinks "hey, this morning I'm going to install a
> color management framework" and this is why I'm pushing hard to have
> GNOME Color Manager in the default desktop set of GNOME 2.31 and for
> the pixel transforming bits pushed into the toolkits. If we make color
> management hard, nobody is going to do it. It we make it easy, well,

Nobody does not mean tousands of people are nobody, right?

> some people just might use it.

If Linux CM activities can be keept in sync, that will be a sign
of quality. As soon as user have their comparable kind of CM settings
differ from Gnome to KDE, it is a bug. In KDE "Relative
Colorimetric" and in Gnome "Perceptual" for proofing makes less sense.

For DBus I have to read more details, probably after LGM.

regards