[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Fri May 21 05:33:33 PDT 2010

On 5/21/10, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>> 1. You are overreacting. I understand why, but nevertheless. Richard
>> provided many more reasons than just "how many discussions".
>
> Well, this is biased.

Oh, wow. How about just re-reading Richard's letter with defense shield off? :)

> You are writing for GCM since some time now.

Right. That should be it. I was also biased when I sent ru.po update
to Cinepaint *after* all the consequences with Robin. And I must have
faked doing Krita's translation, because I was also translating GIMP
at the time which was and is my primary image editor. Oh, wait! And
I'm also using GNOME, while using some Qt based applications and
contributing to them. Clearly there's something evil on my mind.
Breaking projects from the inside style of thing, eh?

Is that the kind of logic you rely on? I hope it's not.

Oh, I do happen to like GCM, because it just works, from the very
first public release. I like things that just work, because I can
focus on something else. Yes, I can see how you revealed my true evil
nature :)

> It reads as if you sanction here wrong expectations against smaller
> projects.

No shame in working on small projects. We all did it, and some of us still do :)

> You confuse popularity with potential. Projects can even start in the
> private and come very late to the light of the public and make their way.

So far I've seen way too many projects that simply die, because
developers failed to reach public's attention. Basics of marketing is
something that many free software developers meet with reluctance, for
one reason or another.

> The diversity of mindsets, goals and the resulting projects are a good
> sign to the health of a broader community.

Yes, it sounds right, only you seem to forget that we are talking
about a project that doesn't show signs of life until you talk to
developers directly.

You see, I spent a considerable time yesterday browsing through
Elektra's website and I see lots of things that would be a show
stopper if I was developer. If Markus is interested, I can write about
that off-list.

> In this context I will not follow into a more or less stated "Gnome mono
> culture", which tries to rule out not like minded.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to dconf and other articulated
attempts at cross-desktop configuration systems?

Alexandre