[Openicc] shared-color-profiles issues [was: new/old ICC profile package]

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 14:04:11 PDT 2010

On 30 August 2010 21:41, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Agreed for the Oyranos README.

Sure, if you send me a patch I'll be happy to apply it.

> However the Argyll_V1.1.0_src.zip package downloaded from www.argyllcms.com
> does not contain any ICC profile.

Look in ref/*.icc

> Moreover I doubt that Argyll writes 'lcms'
> inside the profile as Creator.

Sure, I rencoded the profile (it's a gamut space, so no data was
changed) to get more user-friendly strings in the GCM UI. Maybe that
should be added to the README.

> As well the Argyll LICENSE file is incomplete.

Howso? Are you sure?

>> I don't target this just at Fedora, it's already used by Suse and
>> Novell, and it's intended as a general purpose project. At one point
>> Ubuntu was going to ship this too; I'm not sure if they actually did
>> or not.
>
> Some profiles appear to be distributed under GPL. Users are embedding these
> ICC profiles into their own images. Thats a issue for them.

Are you sure that's true? Isn't this the same as a GPL font being
included in a non-GPL document? I can certainly clarify this with Red
Hat Legal if this is required. Is it possible to release an JPEG
_image_ under the GPL? Seems that images and data files are content,
and don't exactly make sense when there is no "source code" to
compile.

Red Hat Legal were further unsure if ICC profiles were even
copyrightable at all, as they are just data files with co-ordinate
data encoded in them.

> It would be good for Fedora to correct that situation. Of course Oyranos
> shall not require the shared-color-profiles package in its current form
> during installation.

That's completely up to you. It's likely shared-color-profiles is
already installed on your target computer, so it seems like a shame
not to.

Richard.