[Openicc] shared-color-profiles issues [was: new/old ICC profile package]

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Aug 30 23:05:29 PDT 2010

Am 30.08.10, 22:04 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 30 August 2010 21:41, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> However the Argyll_V1.1.0_src.zip package downloaded from www.argyllcms.com
>> does not contain any ICC profile.
>
> Look in ref/*.icc

Its *.icm, I found now 3.

>> Moreover I doubt that Argyll writes 'lcms'
>> inside the profile as Creator.
>
> Sure, I rencoded the profile (it's a gamut space, so no data was
> changed) to get more user-friendly strings in the GCM UI. Maybe that
> should be added to the README.

So, the lcms created profiles are in fact not from Argyll. You just
claim the colorimetric oinformation is from there. The 3 original
Argyll ones are no more identical to the packaged ones.

Now I checked, and the profiles in the Oyranos folder are modified as
well. Please do not refere to them as from the Oyranos project. They are
not. Most software will handle these profile sets as different. So they
are technical not the same.

>> As well the Argyll LICENSE file is incomplete.
>
> Howso? Are you sure?

The file mentions just 3 profiles. But there are more.

>>> I don't target this just at Fedora, it's already used by Suse and
>>> Novell, and it's intended as a general purpose project. At one point
>>> Ubuntu was going to ship this too; I'm not sure if they actually did
>>> or not.
>>
>> Some profiles appear to be distributed under GPL. Users are embedding these
>> ICC profiles into their own images. Thats a issue for them.
>
> Are you sure that's true? Isn't this the same as a GPL font being
> included in a non-GPL document? I can certainly clarify this with Red
> Hat Legal if this is required. Is it possible to release an JPEG
> _image_ under the GPL? Seems that images and data files are content,
> and don't exactly make sense when there is no "source code" to
> compile.

There is the extension of GPL over derived work.

> Red Hat Legal were further unsure if ICC profiles were even
> copyrightable at all, as they are just data files with co-ordinate
> data encoded in them.

You can search the OpenICC list for discussions about that topic.

>> It would be good for Fedora to correct that situation. Of course Oyranos
>> shall not require the shared-color-profiles package in its current form
>> during installation.
>
> That's completely up to you. It's likely shared-color-profiles is
> already installed on your target computer, so it seems like a shame
> not to.

The other way around. I can only require that Oyranos does not ask its
users to accidentially install the shared-color-profiles package until its
clean.

These profiles have uncertain sources and are altered without notion,
they are not a solid reference for compositing and exchange.