[Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 16 18:48:38 PST 2011

Sounds very interesting.  A few questions/comments:

1) From the Gutenprint perspective, it's very important to be able to
   turn this off selectively (for the purposes of profiling, if
   nothing else).  The inability to turn off ColorSync has been a
   major thorn in the side of a lot of our Mac users, and is actually
   impeding progress in regards creating a color managed workflow with
   Gutenprint on that platform.

2) High bit depth capability is essential, at least downstream of
   colord.  Both CUPS and Gutenprint can handle 16 bits just fine, but
   it's important that the transformation not lose information from
   the data provided by the user.

   (It's not essential that colord *always* generate high bit depth
   data; if someone's printing draft quality, they don't care about
   minor color imperfections but they do care about performance.
   However, it's important that the capability be there for higher end
   use.  On higher end 6-color printers with very small drop sizes
   it's easy enough to see quantization error in the form of banding
   on gradients with 8 bit input, since there are only 256 levels.)

3) Is there any provision for DeviceN profiles?  I'd like to see
   DeviceN input for extended color printers (such as the Epson 800,
   1800, 1900, 7900, 9900, etc); parametric-based approaches based on
   HSL don't work nearly as well as I'd like.  This isn't so important
   for printers with extra inks as long as the primaries are all CMYK,
   but there's increasing availability of extra colors on high end
   printers.  Some of the newest Epson printers even have a *white*
   ink for printing to film.

4) Finally (and this is personal, not Gutenprint-related), will any of
   this work under KDE (at least the printing stuff, since GNOME won't
   be running)?

--Eric Crampton