[Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 01:48:50 PST 2011

On 16 January 2011 21:35, Hal V. Engel <hvengel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is a device ?

For CUPS, a device is really just a queue.

>> for colormanagement in the printing chain, the printer profile has to be
>> assigned to combination of device/ink, paper and driver settings. How do
>> you solve this with colord / CUPS ? (predifined CUPS queues for every
>> combination of (device/ink, paper and driver settings?)

No, CUPS can ask for profiles from colord for a specific device with
the appropriate qualifier, e.g. "RGB.Plain.*"

> In the CUPS ppd it is possible to specify one or more ICC profile to printer
> mappings that allows for specifying three things.  By default these are:
>
> Media type (IE. paper type)
> Resolution
> Color Model (RGB, CYMK...)

Same options for colord.

> Color model is mandatory but the other two can be changed to reflect other
> things like specific driver settings (IE. ink settings for example).  I am not
> sure why Color Model is mandatory or even needed since this can be determined
> by looking at the profile.

In colord, nothing is mandatory.

> Clearly being able to specify three things is not enough and I don't see where
> this issue is addressed with colord.  Would it be possible to give us more
> information on this?

Please see my other mail, the qualifier is free text.

>> Where is the rendering intent from source to printer profile specified ?
>> - colord ?
>> - CUPS ?
>> - OS ?
>> - Printer driver ?
>
> Since the CUPS work flow is moving to a PDF based system this can be specified
> in the PDF file that is passed to CUPS.   This allows for this to be user
> configurable.  Rendering intents will then be applied when the pdftoraster
> filter rasterizes the print job.

I must admit, I didn't think of colord influencing the intent at all.
Would the intent be a per-device option, per profile option, or should
colord just leave well alone?

>> Control slug possible ?
>> Is there any way to read, the current colord settings for a CUPS queue,
>> to create a control slug on the print out, to document the settings from
>> which the print has been created ?

I don't think that's in the remit of colord. It's probably the sort of
thing that belongs in CUPS itself, rather than relying on an external
daemon to render the slug.

Richard.