[Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Jan 17 03:56:19 PST 2011

Am 16.01.11, 22:08 -0500 schrieb Robert Krawitz:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:35:19 -0800, Hal V. Engel wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:18:18 pm Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
>>> Hello Richard,
>>> I´m not a developer, so may be my questions are in some cases a little
>>> bit simple:
>>>
>>> What is a device ?
>>> for colormanagement in the printing chain, the printer profile has to be
>>> assigned to combination of device/ink, paper and driver settings. How do
>>> you solve this with colord / CUPS ? (predifined CUPS queues for every
>>> combination of (device/ink, paper and driver settings?)
>>
>> This is a good question.  When I looked at the colord admin
>> interface screen shot I didn't see anyway to specify these things
>> and was going to ask about it.  Oyranos has had a lot of work done
>> on this part of the printing work flow and I think that whatever is
>> being done should leverage that work.
>>
>> In the CUPS ppd it is possible to specify one or more ICC profile to
>> printer mappings that allows for specifying three things.  By
>> default these are:
>>
>> Media type (IE. paper type)
>> Resolution
>> Color Model (RGB, CYMK...)
>>
>> Color model is mandatory but the other two can be changed to reflect
>> other things like specific driver settings (IE. ink settings for
>> example).  I am not sure why Color Model is mandatory or even needed
>> since this can be determined by looking at the profile.
>>
>> Clearly being able to specify three things is not enough and I don't
>> see where this issue is addressed with colord.  Would it be possible
>> to give us more information on this?
>
> I didn't comment on this in my previous remarks, but this is actually
> a very important issue.  Three options simply isn't nearly enough for
> Gutenprint.
>
> We've been looking at whether and how to identify options that may
> affect the color output.  Many options (including, of course, media
> type, resolution, and color model, but also a lot more) affect the
> color output, but there are other options (such as media size,
> borderless/full bleed, unidirectional/bidirectional head movement)
> that don't.  Would it be useful to be able to flag these options in
> the PPD file somehow, and if so, how?

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc#PPDcolouring
The above proposal came out of the discussion here on list last august
(2010) in the thread "PPD colouring". Its about using a ColorKeyWords
in PPDs to mark colour related options.
(That is implemented in Oyranos' CUPS configuration backend.)

> This is probably splitting hairs a bit too much, but there are some
> options that shouldn't affect color output, but may to a small extent.
> For example, high end Epson printers include an option to microadjust
> the paper feed to get correct dimensions on different media types
> (some people are very sensitive to fractional percent errors in
> dimensionality -- if something's supposed to be 500 mm in length, and
> it actually prints 502 mm in length, that's a problem).  This will
> slightly affect ink density, although *probably* not enough to matter.

Agreed, it appears as a minor issue and could be ignored as a colour
related option.