[Openicc] Assigning ICC profiles to pinter driver settings part 2

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Jan 19 14:50:48 PST 2011

Hello list,
After reading the mails in the list, I´m currently not convinced, that
the OS level configuration like Oyranos or colord is the best solution
for assigning an ICC profile to printer driver settings.

 From my personal experience I rather would prefer a solution where it
is possible to assign an ICC profile directly in the printer driver
provide an interface to make the ICC profile for the current active
setting available to to services / applications sending raster-data to
the printer driver.

This would allow e.g. following use cases

1) predefined standard settings with canned profiles
The printer driver is delivered with canned profiles and the user don´t
changes anything during daily work

2) predefined standard settings modied from the user
The canned profiles for a standard setting are used, but the user has
changed settings like e.g. enhancing contrast brightness or saturation.

3) individual profile from the user
The user can print a testchart without application of a color
transformation and assigns the resulting profile directly in the driver
setting.

If a profiling service is triggered directly from the driver, it is easy
to integrate the driver settings into the ICC-profile as metadata for
documentation and troubleshooting.

4) Where to apply the color transformtion from source colorspace of the
rasterdat to the target device colorspace of the printer driver setting ?
I don´t know if CUPS has mechanism for pulling a ICC from the driver. If
yes, CUPS would be ricght place.
If not, we have to discuss if CUPS should be enhanced with such
functionality or if CUPS delivers only with rasterdata with an ambedded
source profile (and may be a rendering intent) and the color
transformation of raster-data is handled also in the printer driver.

5) Whats about PDF printing data ?
PDF allows individual profiles for individual objects and also the
definition of a global document colorspace (Output Intent).
The PDF2Raster engine would render all individual objects colors
including transparencies to a flat raster file and embeds the output
intent into the raster file.

It would be nice to get some comments on the described workflow

best regards
Jan-Peter

--
----------  Please note the new adress --------------