[Openicc] meta data in test chart

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jan 21 07:09:33 PST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 10:00 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> I think we have to do a cut here. IMO it would be straight forward to just care about settings being colour related. After all that sounds to me like
> what you want with the calibration "recipe".

I think restricted the shareable package to that of just strict color related settings is a mistake. If someone is using a thick media, then paper feed or platen adjustments are obviously necessary to properly reproduce the proper printing condition. If such settings are straight out not in scope for embedding in the output device profile, then I'd recommend a different approach, where are package file format that includes the ICC profiles and all print settings is used, rather that stuffing them into an ICC profile.

And really, a particular set of settings is only valid for a particular PPD. Maybe nothing changes as the PPD version changes, but perhaps something does change that relates to color and then the settings aren't valid. So again I think the package that contains PPD, settings, ICC profile, calibration, is a better way to transport and share. It's easier, more intuitive, more reliable. Otherwise you get situations where users have the correct settings, different driver version, don't have a calibration file, and now they can't actually reproduce the printing conditions.