[Openicc] meta data in test chart

Ann L McCarthy almccart at lexmark.com
Fri Jan 21 09:37:11 PST 2011

Please be aware that SampleICC already includes an XML <=> ICC format
capability.
Any tags in an ICC profile can be edited in an XML editor using that
capability for pre- and post- conversion.
This obtains the XML text editing experience and at the same time retains
the efficient storage format of the ICC profile.

Best regards,
Ann McCarthy
Imaging Systems R&D
Lexmark International, Inc.

"Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk>
Sent by: openicc-bounces+almccart=lexmark.com at lists.freedesktop.org
01/20/2011 09:24 PM

edmund ronald <edmundronald at gmail.com>
cc
OpenICC Liste <openicc at lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject
Re: [Openicc] meta data in test chart

Hi,

On 21/01/11 01:07, edmund ronald wrote:

> I think we need to choose between XML and JSON. Robert will have final
> say, I guess, but we might as well have it out there.

I'm with Graeme in thinking XML is a horrible format to edit by hand
(because the tags and the <> delimiters all have the same visual
"weight" as the data within, so to my eyes it all just congeals into a
mass on screen.)  However, despite my dislike of it, I think XML might
be the better fit in this case.

What needs to be able to parse the serialised options, and what can just
treat it as a "blob"?

* Gutenprint: Obviously needs to be able to both parse and write.

* Oyranos, colord, etc.: Do they need to parse, or is a test for
"equality" (for some yet-to-be-determined definition of "equality")
sufficient?

* ArgyllCMS: I would think profiling tools in general would need no
awareness of the contents and would treat the data as a blob to be
embedded in the final profile?

> One argument in favor of JSON is that we can expect to write GUI's to
> manipulate settings for the user so JSON is a good fit.

 From my experience using the Gutenprint options system from within
PhotoPrint I'd say the options' limits and their interactions with each
other are *way* too complicated to be encoded within a serialised
options file, so a GUI tool to edit such a set of options would probably
need to be linked with libgutenprint.  Such a tool (at least a
Gutenprint-specific tool) would be far better off deserialising an
options file into a live stp_vars_t, editing that, then serialising it
again than attempting to parse a file itself and implementing its own
internal model with option constraints.  Gutenprint already has an XML
library, so I don't see much sense in making Gutenprint use a different
parsing library just for option serialisation.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson