[Openicc] meta data in test chart

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 10:26:55 PST 2011

Ann,

 I would really, really, like the color settings problem to be addressed by
the ICC, with procedure guidelines as to what an inkjet printer should
support, as to how it can be ensured that the print system can be used for
profiling, how it can be ensured that the profile matches with the printer
queue/ media employed.

But the total mess that is inkjet printing on the platforms supported by the
ICC shows no sign of abating, I see a minor member of the ICC (Xrite) having
its clients unable to profile, when they buy the tool in order to, another
minor member (Adobe) plagued by printing bugs from version to version of its
least selling  product, another hardware vendor (Epson) distributing free
mini-RIPS in the hope that users will be able to print by bypassing the
print system of the base OS.

 All we seem to be discussing here is the minor issue of the format for
settings; well let me turn this round: If XML, Json or whatever is employed,
I am sure we can embed the whole mess in a profile, or embed the profile in
the settings or whatever, and make the system work regardless of syntax.

 It would help if you chose to sit down *here* and made helpful suggestions
to us chickens about how to design a system that works, as all the talking
over there sure ain't produced results.

Edmund