[Openicc] Communication between Printer Driver and Oyranos

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 24 17:22:30 PST 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:37:44 +0100, edmund ronald wrote:
> Robert,
>
>  If it is Gutenpprint, the vendor is probably you, or for the profile
> possibly me.
>  I hope you feel happy with the V-word :)
>  Which is precisely why I'd like to see a good system for
> user-supplied settings cum profiles.

Very well, everybody's asking me for a proposal...you asked for it :-)
This isn't even half baked at this point.

I'm going to suggest using the printrc format from the Gutenprint GIMP
plugin.  This is already supported by a GTK+ UI and abstracted into a
library (I could abstract the printrc format into a library of its own
if people really want).  The ICC profile can be embedded as a "raw"
data type (uninterpreted, counted string); likewise the skeletal PPD
file can also.