[Openicc] Print Color Pipeline

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 23:28:14 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 25.01.11, 10:00 +1000 schrieb Jon Cruz:

>>> Agreed. Peter Sikking has already prepared ideas for a UI. As it stands
>>> now, IMO the common print dialog (CPD) would be the single best controlable
>>> entry point for colour management settings.
>>> Do plan Krita and Scribus to use that dialog for local printing?
>>

>> I do think this should be taken grain of salt. I'm not sure of the status
>> in recent months, but when I've discussed things with Peter, he seemed to
>> not quite grasp some of the subtle needs of professional printing. Things
>> like artists being able to control overprint, knockout, rich black, etc.
>
> However, it will be much more difficult to get those features inside CUPS.
> CPD offers more control just by its place in the achitecture.

I believe these are separation issues?  Do they actually affect *local
printing* which is what CUPS is all about? I mean, if you want a
special type of inkjet rendering you invoke a profile, but then you
already need to know a lot about the printer you are using, and if you
want to print on press you spool the file out from the application, so
it doesn't go through CUPS anyway?

I have no experience with this - the only workflows I deal with are
local photo workflows which are RGB from the beginning to almost the
end (until final CMYK conversion for inkjet).

Edmund