[Openicc] Print Color Pipeline

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Jan 24 23:42:57 PST 2011

Am 25.01.11, 08:28 +0100 schrieb edmund ronald:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> I do think this should be taken grain of salt. I'm not sure of the status
>>> in recent months, but when I've discussed things with Peter, he seemed to
>>> not quite grasp some of the subtle needs of professional printing. Things
>>> like artists being able to control overprint, knockout, rich black, etc.
>>
>> However, it will be much more difficult to get those features inside CUPS.
>> CPD offers more control just by its place in the achitecture.
>
> I believe these are separation issues?  Do they actually affect *local
> printing* which is what CUPS is all about? I mean, if you want a

The CUPS patch works on server side. The term local does not very well
apply to CUPS server. So your local profile and settings are invisible to
CUPS server. The patch does not even know anything about the user. It
blindly assumes it is the actual one.

> special type of inkjet rendering you invoke a profile, but then you
> already need to know a lot about the printer you are using, and if you
> want to print on press you spool the file out from the application, so
> it doesn't go through CUPS anyway?

Oh, yes. From this point of view CPD makes even more sense.