[Openicc] meta data in test chart

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jan 25 14:43:51 PST 2011

I'm still unclear on exactly what aspect of what platform we're talking about. Is this a hypothetical pipeline for Gnome and/or KDE? Or a library that some applications can optionally use? Or just for GIMP? I don't exactly understand what workflow we're discussing as when I think of workflow I think of end-users, not engineers.

And again, I'd refuse the premise that it must be all-any one particular color space. Just honor the object's source space (or assume sRGB if it's not present) and convert for display and print. No intermediate space. The color space for the window server is "display RGB" and everything is responsible for normalizing to that space.

If you want to build something more sophisticated, then you could have a separate high-quality pipeline for the window server that's either 16bpc or 32bpc floating point using Rec 709 primaries. After compositing is done, then you get the "right 8bpc" for display* by doing display compensation to "display RGB" which would be the window server itself doing it, not applications using this hypothetical pipeline.

* Understood that we have a variable bitdepth pipeline to different displays, maybe anywhere from 5bpc to 16bpc.

Chris Murphy